As an Animal Keeper, you’ll play a key role in helping our experienced Keepers in caring for an array of animals including farm animals, invertebrates, reptiles, amphibians, wallabies, meerkats and smaller mammals, ensuring that the high standards of animal husbandry are carried out on a daily basis on the Farm.
Your role will include;
- Feeding and making sure all the Animals have fresh water at all times
- Keeping animal enclosures clean, refreshed and safely secured
- Learning about the animals which will be in your care
- Preparation of food following strict diet sheets provided
- Visually health checking the animals daily for signs of distress or ill health
- Helping with routine health care duties including brushing, nail/ hoof trimming.
- Providing enrichment for the animals
- Assisting Keepers with daily husbandry tasks including monthly health checks, routine cleaning tasks, faecal sampling (tasks will change daily).
- Assisting with daily live animal shows and providing talks, visitor experiences/ encounters
- Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are always followed
The ideal candidate must;
- Be aged 18 years or over and hold a full driver’s licence
- Hold an Animal Care (Level 2 minimum) qualification or equivalent, Level 3 animal management or equivalent preferred
- Have been employed/ currently employed within the animal husbandry industry
- Have a flexible approach to working hours to ensure animals needs are met. You will be expected to work weekends, be flexible with the hours given and at short notice
- Work without supervision as well as within the team effectively and follow clear instructions
- To work under pressure
- Have a passion to work with animals and a willingness to learn
- A precise and scientific approach to husbandry is required along with the ability to follow strict protocols.
- Good communication skills, teamwork, and experience of dealing with the public are essential.
- A good level of physical fitness, as elements of the role can be physically demanding.
- 1 month probation period to ensure our expectations are met and ensure the role is right for you.
- This will be approximately a 36hr+ a week position from May until October then from there on you will be given a minimum 16 hrs per week with additional holiday cover as and when required. As a holiday cover you will be expected to cover any of your days off but you will still be entitled to at least 2 days off per week. If you would like to be considered for this role, please send your CV to the following email; [email protected]
Closing date for this position is Monday 18th April. Interviews will take place the following week